Register yourself - it's good for you!
Everybody moving into Finland for longer term has to register at local register office (Maistraatti in Finnish) in person. This is important for several reasons:
- You'll receive a Finnish ID code, which is needed basically in all official matters (e.g. to receive a tax card, open an bank account, rent an apartment etc.)
- Your stay is officially registered: if you later need to prove the length of your stay in Finland (e.g. for the inclusion into the Finnish social security system), the count officially starts with this registration only.
- A Finnish municipality of residence (kotikunta in Finnish) is registered for a foreigner who plans on staying here permanently and if he or she has a residence permit for at least one year. This gives you the right to municipal services.
The registration of local register office is free of charge.
Temporarily residing foreigner
A foreigner residing temporarily in Finland can also receive an identification number if he or she needs one, for example in order to work. The person must have a residence permit at least for one year. However, a municipality of residence will not be registered for him or her, nor will he or she necessarily enjoy the same rights as a person residing in Finland permanently.
Citizens of Nordic countries are not required to report to the local register office, unless they plan on residing in Finland for a period exceeding one year. In this case, the person moving is required register as a foreigner in addition to making a change of address notification, unless he or she has already been assigned a personal identity number in Finland.
Change of address notification
You must always submit a change of address notification if you move into a new home. You can submit a Change of address notification to Posti and/or a Local Register Office. You can submit the notification over the Internet or by telephone for yourself and family members who move to the same address at the same time. This can be made at the earliest one month in advance. Make sure that the notification has been received by the local register office within a week of your move.
The ways to submit a notification of move are:
- to use the online service (24 h a day). You can make an online notification using Internet Bank access codes;
- to call the Move Service Line on 0200 71000 (local call charge / mobile charge). Service also in English.
- to fill in the form that you can pick up at post office or local register office and submit it to the local register office.
For further information, please contact your local register office.